You have to remember that the built in tuner matches the amp to the
transmission line.  It does nothing to improve the SWR at the antenna or to
protect your coax.

Well, it might incrementally improve the loss in the coax because the reflected
wave from a high SWR antenna would not be the-reflected at the amp.  It would
be fully absorbed into the amp which is well matched.

The really good thing that the internal tuner does is make life easier for the
amp.  You will get more power out because the protection circuits don't have to
protect the amp.  I'd be far more protective of my amp than my coax!

John Perlick
Aria Corporation
www.ariacorp.com