When the original poster referred to SO2R capability, I think he meant one
amplifier being able to handle transmission from both radios. At 100W having a
separate amp as part of each radio is no big deal, but at the price of a
KPA1500, one really wants to pay for only one, given that SO2R means only one
radio can be transmitting at a given time.

I am just a beginner at SO2R, but I have already spent a lot of time thinking
about various aspects of the subject.

First there is the "SO2R controller" issue. There seem to be a lot of different
designs out there, and they don't necessarily try to solve the same problem.
Rather, different users seem to form personal opinions of what functions are to
be implemented, and available implementations reflect that. Issues that may or
may not be addressed in depth include routing of radio inputs, radio outputs,
and radio controls, including interlocks to ensure that only one radio can
transmit at a time.

Second, there is the configuration of the radio boxes. Normally the two radios
operate on different bands. With 5 or 6 bands used in a HF contest, there will
be many combinations of band choices for two transceivers. One can set each
radio manually to the proper band, but sometimes one might want to use a
central control to select a combination of bands rather than individual bands.
When amplifiers are added to the picture, the situation becomes more complex. I
have one KPA500, on the main K3. That works well if that radio is on say 40 and
the second radio is on 15, since power is often needed on the lower bands,
while 15 often doesn't need much power if open. Now suppose 15 closes and I
want to go to 80 with the second radio. 80 might need the amp more than 40, so
how do I quickly switch the amp over to the other radio? A similar situation
would exist if I had two amp's with different power capabilities. The ability
to "share" one amp between both radios would be very attractive. On the other
hand, if I did not have that capability, but instead had a second KPA500 in
addition to my existing one, I might in a given situation want to combine both
for 40 while running barefoot on 15. Clearly, it may be shortsighted to address
such individual capabilities individually, and from a manufacturer's standpoint
it would make sense to have a generalised scheme of configuration, maybe with
GUI software that allows the user to configure things by drawing and storing
interconnection schematics. Of course, that is just the control side of it. The
physical switching side, with proper isolation may be both complex and
expensive.

Third, antenna selection. One user may use many feedlines, while another tries
to use only one. Antennas themselves may be monobanders or multi. I think most
of us have been struggling with how to best utilize the fixed numbers of
antenna connectors on different radios and tuners. What seems like ideal
features to one user may seem totally wrong to another, even in a single radio
scenario. With SO2R, we want to be able to select between several different
antennas used by two radios. Isolation must be excellent so that neither radio
will be interfered with by the other. The antennas themselves may sabotage the
isolation by their proximity and configuration. The ideal station would perhaps
have separate antennas widely spaced from each other. The average ham is more
likely to use fewer,  multiband antennas. A typical switch box has two radio
connectors and several antenna connectors, and it should not allow both radios
to connect to the same antenna. In any case, the switching hardware operates at
high power and is likely to be expensive. Ulitmately, it might be best seen as
part of the expensive switching network that configures the radio box
interconnections as discussed in the previous paragraph.

To summarize, SO2R is a complex subject, and it is currently addressed mostly
in a fractured way, using a conglomeration of hardware solutions to solve
different pieces of the puzzle. There is such a diversity of user requirements
that any "total solution" that would hypothetically be offered by any one
manufacturer is likely to seem wrong to many potential customers, unless the
archictecture is extremely advanced. Nevertheless, even a manufacturer that
offers only pieces of the puzzle should over time gain an edge if its products
supports major classes of configuration requirements.

I don't know if there is room in this forum to have much discussion of what
features would be appropriate in future SO2R-related offerings from Elecraft,
but previous posts have started to touch on the subject. Personally I would
suggest that hams like myself with limited real estate and going to SO2R are
likely to be using multiband antennas but still need antenna switching other
than what may exist in radios, amplifiers and tuners. In other words,
discussing how many connectors a radio or tuner should have may be a dead end
approach. It is interesting to note that HF antenna multiplexers allow two
radios to use the same multiband antenna, and that the isolation in such a
configuration tends to be much better than what is achieved with closely spaced
separate antennas. The multiplexer transforms the multiband antenna's single
feedline into separate connections for each band. Thus, a SO2R antenna switch
as commonly used by a superstation today, with connections for two radios and
several monobanders, is still appropriate for the modest station using a single
multiband antenna shared between two radios. Firmware and hardware offered by
Elecraft in the future for the purpose of SO2R would do well to anticipate and
support such configurations.

73,
Erik K7TV