Stan,

Turn the power down while experimenting and you should not "blow the finals". I am 77 and still learning, so age is not an excuse. It is never too late to learn. Besides, it exercises the brain which is known to provide a hedge to dementia. That is why I am still repairing Elecraft gear. Each problem presents a unique challenge and keeps my brain active.

73,
Don W3FPR