This was the hint I needed. The kit did come with a little plastic tool. I
had presumed that tool was spreading out the heatsink compound they also
provided (which the tool does work quite well for). A little bit of hair
dryer plus the tool they included and the KX3HSMDKT came off rather
painlessly. Sometimes I ponder writing up a small bit of documentation and
providing it back to these companies so they can provide it to the next
guy. Still quite pleased with the add-on.

Thanks!

-detrick
KI4STU