Jim,

I apologize: I made a typo in my post. It should have said "...the highest
choking IMPEDANCE is usually obtained with an air core choke (coax looped
with or without some form like PVC)". Maybe this is an over-statement, but
of the few chokes I have tested, air core chokes made with just standard
coax have shown the highest net impedance, but also the narrowest useable BW
because of the high Q. I have seen these baluns used in countless QST
articles over the years, and even as part of some commercial antenna
designs.

In my previous posts, I tried to emphasize that choosing a choke to reduce
common mode current needs to be a system level process. Because of the
importance of the resonance problem, I explicitly stated that adding a choke
can either reduce, have no effect on, or increase the common mode current. I
appreciate the points you make regarding the use of a ferrite core that
yields wide BW and high resistance. However, there are those that argue
against this approach by claiming that there is no need to burn up the
common mode energy in the choke resistance, when you could just as easily
use a high reactance choke to reflect it and re-radiate it out the antenna.
However, the proponents of this approach either don’t discuss the potential
resonance problem, or state that as long as the choke’s resistive component
is greater than 5x the antenna feed impedance, you don’t need to worry about
it.

Bill  N0CU