-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Vic K2VCO
Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2006 12:54 PM
To: Elecraft Group
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] KAF2 or KDSP2 for K2 #5287

Selectivity has two functions: to reject QRM and to increase the
signal/noise ratio by narrowing the bandwidth.  The crystal filter in
the K2 is usually sufficient for QRM reduction, with the help of the
"built-in wetware filter" in the human brain.

However, it *is* advantageous to have the narrowest practical bandwidth
when receiving a weak CW signal; the signal's energy is concentrated in
a very narrow range of frequencies -- maybe 50 Hz is required for usual
CW speeds -- while the noise is evenly distributed over the bandpass of
the receiver.  I find it useful to have a narrow audio filter available
for this reason.