Keith, KD1E wrote:
When I had narrow filtering in my Omni V I found that S/N did not increase
as bandwidth decreased.  Instead, the noise began to sound like signal since
both were at the same frequency.  Add some filter ringing to the mix and
sometimes the narrowest settings made copy worse.

As always, I reserve the right to change my mind as I get more operating
time with various rigs :-)

-------------------------------

I, too, have had Keith's experience.

Over the years I use narrow filters ONLY when absolutely needed to remove
extremely loud QRM. Most often I listen to CW using my >2 kHz OPT1 filter.
Perhaps it's a result of having learned to listen to CW as an SWL and Novice
many years ago using regenerative receivers and simple superhets for which 6
to 8 kHz bandwidths were typical.

And the CW bands were a lot more crowded then, typically, than today.

That doesn't mean that I didn't have exotic filters. The most exotic filter
yet developed is the one between our ears. It has to be trained, however.
For speech, we do that instinctively from childhood by listening. Who hasn't
picked out a single voice across the room at a crowded party and heard every
word in spite of a dozen or more other voices also carrying on at the same
time. It only gets really hard when some character starts shouting in our
ear so we can't hear the other voice through the hubbub.

We can learn to do the same with CW. Of course, the first step is to avoid
having the signal we want to hear made quieter, which is why I avoid AGC for
most listening. It responds to the aggregate of signals in the bandpass. I
want it to leave my volume where I set it. With most receivers I like having
a hard limiter that doesn't let any signal exceed a certain threshold
regardless without affecting the other signals. I've never fashioned one for
my K2 because I haven't found that the K2 seems to need it.

Very, very rarely do I find the copy better at narrower bandwidths for just
the reason Keith observes: the narrower bandwidths tend to concentrate all
the energy in the bandpass of the filter. It's like trying to listen to
someone in a crowded room when a whole group of people are talking at about
the same volume, with the same basic pitch to their voices, with similar
inflections and pace to their speech (the bane of the keyer!!).

Another advantage of using wide bandwidths is being aware of what's going on
around the frequency too. Unless the other station is really whizzing along
requiring my full attention to avoid missing words, I can keep track of
several QSO's around the frequency, again just like being a party. One
doesn't have to catch every word to have a good sense of what's being said
here and there while still paying quite close attention to the person I'm
talking with.

It's something that almost anyone can learn with practice. And you already
own the filter!

Ron AC7AC