I've done Diablo several times, usually right before Pacificon. The one time I did North Peak, it was worse RF wise than Diablo. I also found that most times I'd be the only one up there after dark, with the exception of the Park Ranger, and even he was scarce after dark ;-)

Iffen I recall correctly, they close the entrance gate after 8pm and you'll have almost the
whole park to your self...

How about Angel Island? That's a spot on my bucket list one of these days. Black Mtn comes to mind also. SOTA peak and a hike in campground there as well, W6/NC-150:
http://www.openspace.org/sites/default/files/map_MB.pdf

Have fun and GL!

73, Todd KH2TJ