On Apr 7, 2006, at 8:45 PM, Walt Armour wrote:

Well, I'm in Beaverton so try to keep the big cats out west. I'll just
watch for the local raccoons here.  :)

On the antenna though, I don't think the tree is feasible due to
location.  The ridge line (on some poles for a touch more height) is
quite doable and could easily feed into where my radio will one day be. However, I'm a little concerned about the signal going too vertical and
having a bad angle on the horizon.

Should I be considering a vertical antenna if I really want to DX?

New guy here so please correct any bad assumptions I'm making...

Walt, KE7GWZ

I don't have any usable trees on my lot (unusual for the NW) and when I moved here (Bainbridge Island, WA) six years ago I put up a wire antenna about three feet above the ridge line of the house and attached garage. The garage part was at a right angle to the house part. It was about 65 feet long on one leg and 34 feet on the other. I fed it at the corner with coax and used a MFJ tuner, although for some bands the tuner on my TS-570D would match things fairly well by itself (this was before I built my K2).

I didn't really expect much in the way of performance, but our local DX club had a "friendly competition" in 2001 to see who could work the most DX in one year running QRP levels. I couldn't really compete with the guys who had beams (one guy worked over 240 countries), but I did work 100 countries (plus several more running QRO) using that antenna using all bands from 40 to 10 meters. That was much better than I had expected, but of course it was at a different part of the sunspot cycle and propagation was much better than it is currently.

I replaced it with a Hy-Gain AV-640 vertical mounted to a piece of 2 in pipe I strapped to the side of the house. I have had better results with the vertical, but the ridge line antenna did more than just warm the clouds.

73,
Bob, N7XY