Graham,

You didn’t say which microwave transverter you are using.  Perhaps the
transverter input requirement can be adjusted to accept the 7W vs 5W.  Many of
us who drive transverters at reduced levels find that the driving rigs often
have full power spikes for just a few milliseconds when keyed, even if the
power control has been adjusted down.  I don’t know if the K3 does this or not.
 But my point is, you might be better off adjusting the microwave transverter
to accept the full 7 W (or 10W) to avoid the power spike problem.

73,

Dave, K4TO