Interesting Dan, I had a similar experience both with the KX2 and the lousy conditions here in eastern PNW (northern ID). I was sending CQs with the MSG key then the "1" key. Once the radio got real quiet and I saw that the preamp was off. I think what happened was that the MSG key did not get pressed, although I thought I had done so, then when I pressed the "1" key, it was really the PRE key. That turned the preamp off. At least that is what I think happened.

Also thanks for the Q. I didn't get very many of them so each was particularly memorable.

Randy, K7TQ
Moscow, ID