Here is a link to the K3EXREF, it will explain how it works.... the REFCAL
will adjust dynamically based on the reference input... what you tune to
will stand on frequency as far as the frequency displayed, just the
reference frequency will adjust on the fly.

http://www.elecraft.com/manual/K3%20EXREF%20Installation%20and%20Operation%20Manual.pdf

mg NG7M

--
M. George