I worked from southern Spain back to GD with a KX1 running 4W from a pocket battery pack using a 9m fishing pole and an "offset Y" 20m dipole made from tv twin right into the banana splitter. For trekking long distances I would go for a much smaller and lighter weight pole and an easier aerial to put up. It's how you carry poles that make it manageable or just a pain. On 20m you can run flat twin with little loss and it's easy to fold up into your pocket.

David
G3UNA

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ignacy" <n...@arrl.net>
To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2017 3:38 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Camino de Santiago portable operation from Spain

That would be lots of fun. But hamming is for your own satisfaction.

Walking with weight is an issue so KX2 is better. I would take wires and
perhaps a small collapsible pole. E.g., a 17ft pole that collapses to 1.5 ft
and weighs 4 oz.

Years ago I hiked Pico de Europa in EA1 not far away from the trail and made a few CW contacts with KX1 by spreading antenna wires on rocks. KX1 is light
but only 2 W.

Ignacy, NO9E