A friend of mine, a life-long astronomy buff who sold telescopes and other optical instruments, told me he had one chance prior to this one to see a total solar eclipse. But the reports of anticipated mobs and traffic were so overwhelming that he decided to stay home. One of his friends, however, went in spite of the reports and later told my friend that there was no problem, no traffic, no crowds. When I scouted a possible location for this eclipse I found many places out in "the boondocks" and away from advertised locations that, I doubt, will have much traffic or crowds. If I had plans to go, I'd do it anyway, taking the recommended amount of food, gasoline, etc. But I've seen one and have photos to prove it. Wonderful experience, and though I might alter my destination location, I wouldn't cancel plans for this eclipse if I hadn't experienced one. And by the way, the one I saw was from a location (the only possible one in that region) that was just inside the edge of the totality path. So we had a few seconds less totality time than being at the center. Still a great experience. You don't have to be in the exact center of the path to get the "full" benefit.

73, and good viewing,

Dave W8OV

On 2017-08-17 13:31, W0MU Mike Fatchett wrote:
I-25 In Colorado is going to be a complete mess. They are expecting over 500k people to go to Wyoming essentially doubling the population. Wyoming will not have the resources to handle this. Anyone going are being told to bring fuel and food, etc. We have decided to stay home. Heavy traffic expected Tomorrow through Wed!