From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Edward R Cole
Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2017 11:54 AM
To: Elecraft Reflector <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] [KX3] Band Plans

No problem if you come to Alaska.  Most 6m activity is 50 - 50.300,
52.525 and one repeater in Anchorage on 52.81 (51.11 input) which is not
usable 100km (65 mi) south of Anchorage using a 24-foot high J-pole (only
20% quieting) and requires over 100w to access.

In my opinion 6m ground-wave s**ks when compared with 2m or 222.  Anchorage
has a 224.94 (223.34) repeater that runs S9 over the same path.  Propagation
on 222 often exceeds that on 2m (we get frequent inversion layer wx).  I run
30w on 222 FM with a new Bridgecom radio (traded my 222-28 transverter since
there was no CW/SSB activity).  I have a 150w amp on 222 for those that use
only a HT and "wet noodle" antenna.

222 is the "overlooked" ham band by mfr's - a real shame!

BTW the KX3 works very well on 6m (receive sensitivity with PRE on
comparable with my K3+PR6).  It drives the KXPA100 just as nicely (even
nicer with remote control line  using the KXAT100 for mobile HF/6m).

73, Ed - KL7UW