To all who cite how their state police use low-band VHF (30-50 MHz).

Yes, I've heard that touted for years (decades), yet the Alaska Troopers (state police) use high-band VHF (150-175 MHz). Their car-to-car simplex is 155.250 MHz. Only state utility that uses low-band (47-MHz) is the AK DOT. I personally know that they installed a base station in the home of a worker (his wife was KL7UP-sk) perched on a hill overlooking Turnagain arm to provide a link from Anchorage (about 25-miles) to a hwy maint camp 16-miles further up a mountain valley. They now have a hwy repeater near the maint camp others along the Seward Hwy which probably provides hwy coverage. The Seward Hwy+Sterling Hwy "are" the"I-5" of Alaska (not to mean its a freeway - its mostly 2-lane 55mph hwy - but see's highest traffic use in AK).

So all I can say about 6m prop from Kenai to Anchorage: low rolling hills and over water is that higher frequencies (222) propagate better (1991- to date experience).

Now I return the reflector to normal "Elecraft oriented" use.

73, Ed - KL7UW
  http://www.kl7uw.com
Dubus-NA Business mail:
dubus...@gmail.com