From: "Don Wilhelm" <donw...@embarqmail.com>
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Sent: 9/18/2017 10:20:22 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Question for Wayne about your OCF Dipole

Alan,

The loss is determined by the current in the coax, not that it carries 1/2 the power. It is the same as for a parallel line - the current is equal and opposite, so both conductors contribute to the loss.

The total loss should be the same as two runs of coax, but that should be matched loss. This situation is likely mismatched loss - which according to the feedline loss with SWR can be relatively small, but present. Consult the charts in the ARRL handbook and the Antenna handbook for the loss due to SWR - for reasonable SWR and low loss feedlines it is minimal. The loss due to SWR is minimized for lines that have a small matched loss. The specification for LMR-400 is 0.7dB at 30 MHz for 100 feet, so it is small at HF. In contrast, RG-58 at 10 MHz has 3.6 dB attenuation at 10 MHz per 100 feet.

I may be mistaken (it has happened before), but I am certain that the loss (in dB) is twice the loss in a single run of coax because the total length of coax is doubled.

bottom line, with LMR-400 at HF that loss is likely minimal.

For installations that would lead to sharp bends in ladderline or vintage 300 ohm line or close proximity to conducting surfaces, the use of parallel coax is a good choice for multiband antennas.

Real open wire may be a better choice if it can be spaced with tension on the wires and run in spaces that are void of nearby conductors, but that is difficult to achieve in many situations. Wayne's "run under the house" may negate the advantages of using parallel conductor lines and make the parallel coax a better choice.

Your situation may vary, but for low loss coax like LMR-400 at HF, that may be a good choice for multiband antennas. The only "problem" is the weight of 2 runs of low loss feedline to the antenna feedpoint. If the feedpoint is supported by a support pole, then that obstacle is not a problem.

73,
Don W3FPR

73,
Don W3FPR