Hi All,

I also have a couple of the QCX kits here waiting to be assembled.  The only
thing slowing me down is that I’m trying to recover from a very bad cold, and
my eyes aren’t all that clear!  This is a fascinating rig design, and has an
incredible cost/feature ratio.

As to whether or not “the mantle has passed” on smaller rigs, I’m not prepared
to quite say that.  I’m just not sure it ever resided in just one person!  It’s
true that Wayne Burdick is just about as good as they come in this regard, but
he has long had some serious competition.  Steve Weber and Dave Benson are just
a couple.  Wayne took it to a new level when he joined forces with Eric to form
Elecraft.  I’m not convinced there aren’t a lot of great ideas along this line
that are running through Wayne’s head.  He just has a lot on his plate right
now.  Besides, the KX2 isn’t all that old, and it has Wayne’s fingerprints all
over it!

As for Hans Summer, who created the QCX rigs, well, he’s been around a good
while too!  The problem is that a lot of us on this side of the pond, and maybe
even other places outside the U.K., haven’t been all that aware of what Hans
has been doing for a long time!  Hans was elected into the ARCI Hall of Fame
back in 2009, and that recognition was probably late in coming!  Members of
GQRP have probably been aware of Hans and his talents for years. If you have
only been following the various Elecraft reflectors, you probably haven’t heard
much about him.  It’s sort of like TV news channels—if you don’t flip around a
bit, you don’t get the big picture!   I also think Hans has a “day job” which
keeps him otherwise occupied.

Right now I guess Hans is “The Man of the Hour” with his QCX kits.  Over 1,000
of them have been sold in just a few weeks!  More are in process!  Amazing!  We
are so fortunate to have stuff like this made available to us.  It’s no wonder
this hobby keeps on giving!

Dave W7AQK