> this version of Win 7/Dev Mgr doesn't display COM
> port numbers and has no PORTS entry in its list of things.

Then the system has no serial ports defined.

The K3 shows up in Device Manager under Win 7 (IBM laptop) as a sound
device, a USB hub, and a xx232... other device

Where does the "other device" appear - what section of the Device Manager "Devices by type"?

You should see the USB Hum and a "USB Serial Converter" in the
"Universal Serial Bus controllers" section and "USB Audio CODEC"
in the "Sound, video and game controllers" section.

Select the "USB Serial Converter", click the Advanced tab and
confirm that "Load VCP" is checked.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV