Mike,

How did you check the value of the resistor.  If you used your DMM while it was in-circuit, then you have an open L33.  The BFO would oscillate, but the range would be restricted as yours is or more narrow.

First thing, check capacitors C173 and C174 to be certain you have the correct values installed.  Those blue capacitors with the yellow printing on them are difficult to read, so use a magnifier and lots of light.

Then check D37 and D38 to be certain they are oriented correctly - the slightly angled side is the "rounded" side.

Make certain RP6 is well soldered - reflow with a hot iron (750 degF) and apply a bit of extra solder - you really one need the flux.  The iron dwell time should be about 3 seconds, but watch for the solder to flow out onto both the solder pad and the component lead to assure good soldering - up to 5 seconds dwell will not hurt anything.

Then when doing the BFO Hi and BFO LO frequency checks make sure RP6 pin 7 goes to quite near 5 volts and also quite near zero volts.

The above are the easiest items to check.
Keep in mind that the resistor which holds L33 is really an insulator, it serves no electrical function.

You are correct that a bad BFO crystal could cause the problem, but to change them (change them as a matched pair), you have to lift L33.  Not too bad is you are careful, leave the leads connected to the resistor leads, heat the solder pad and pull the resistor lead out - repeat for the other side and lift L33 and the resistor off as an assembly.

So try the easy stuff first, and if that does not cure it, contact Elecraft Support and request a pair of BFO crystals and a new L33 and 5.1 meg resistor to replace them.

73,
Don W3FPR