For the K3S, I suggest reading Fred Cady's book, specifically page 170 {9.2 Automatic Level Control - ALC} , page 222 {To ALC or Not to ALC}, and page 291 {EXT ALC} for particulars.   In summary, Elecraft does not  advise using ALC from the amp.

Personal opinion, the amp should provide adequate protection for high SWR and excessive drive.   It should not rely on other means for protection.

73
Bob, K4TAX