John,

Thanks for the suggestions.  I can now report back to the list what I have
found.  Gary Surrency and Don Wilhelm have been helping me on the side and
here is what the problem is.

LIGHTNIHG.   Yep, I took a hit.  I started pulling the various module boards
one at a time until I found that pulling the SSB board made the K2 drop out
of transmit.  Then, reasoning that the most likely component on the SSB
board to suffer lightning damage would be the PIC processor.  So, I pulled
the PIC and replaced it with a previous revision chip that I had left over
after the last time I upgraded it.  Viola!  The K2 then worked fine except
for the KIO2 is mute.  It will taken control commands from me, but does not
send polling data back out.  Could be because I have a mismatch of
processors now.  Any notions for this specific KIO2 problem from anyone in
the group would be quite welcome.

Many thanks to Gary and Don and everyone who gave me feedback, it was all
quite valuable.

NOTE TO THE GOUP!  NEVER throw away old revision processor chips when you
make upgrades to your K2.  Tuck them away safely in something antistatic and
save them for a rainy day.  You may have to depend on them one day!

Best 73s,
Bill Allen - WA5PB