As has been the case for the past several years the only K3 control I touched
during the CW SS was the tuning knob because there was never any reason to futz
with anything else. Whatever settings I had simply worked for every condition
during the weekend, and besides, I always seemed to be focused on signals and
never on the rig itself, thanks to this ability of the K3 to vanish while
you're using it. This year I operated with DUAL PB for the entire contest. With
the context bandwidth set to 500 Hz it sounded tight and open at the same
time... really interesting... and I found it to be free of ringing. The K3 is
so highly configurable and DUAL PB is just one more way to make it sound
consistently fresh.

Tonight I started thinking about the next contest -- the best contest of the
year, may I say-- which is the 160 meter contest in less than two weeks, and so
I set up the N6RK receiving loop and diversity reception. In so doing, I
reminded myself of the major reason why I got the K3 all those years ago. As I
type this I'm listening to 80 in diversity and it's almost spooky hearing
signals swim around in the soundstage of my headphones. What would have been a
deep fade turns into the gentle movement of the signal from left (main receiver
on the horizontal) to right (sub on the loop) and back again. Amazing. If you
haven't tried diversity, it's worth the effort.
There's KI6BZT in Oakland, slightly biased toward the left headphone,
occasionally leaking right of center, talking to K6UIP in Encinitas slammed to
the right. And sure enough, Neil says he's on a vertical antenna. And further
down the band, at 3508, an HK0 calling CQ, who I don't think I could have had a
chance of hearing without diversity.

I'm sure I'll hear you on the 160, thanks to DUAL PB and diversity, but you
probably won't hear me (but that's not the K3's fault; unfortunately, I'm on a
very small city lot). I'll make my 50 contacts, and I hope you're one of them.

AlĀ  W6LX