My concern would be "does the S meter indicate correctly?"

Thus with 50 uV applied to the antenna input it should read S-9, and with 0.78 uV applied it should read S-3, and with 5000 uV applied it should read S-9 +40 dB.    I've checked my K3S at these and other values and I'm confident that the S meter is accurate. Hence, I'm confident I can give accurate signal reports.  Thus unlike many radios and their S meters, they are only good for a rather unscientific and largely inaccurate signal report, somewhat like a SWAG.

73

Bob, K4TAX

On 12/14/2017 10:16 AM, Dan Atchison via Elecraft wrote:
I have a similar - but different! - issue on one of my Elecraft's.

I own both a K3 and a K3s.  Both are configured equally with the K3 having been upgraded to the highest level to achieve near K3s equivalency.

My K3s RF Gain control works exactly as expected, i.e. as the control is rotated counter-clockwise the "S-Meter" increases to a point at almost full scale.

On the K3, however, as the RF Gain control is rotated counter-clockwise and the "S-Meter" increases to about the "40-over" point at the control's 10 o'clock position the "S-Meter" then inexplicably drops to the "S9" position where it remains for the remainder of the RF gain control counter-clockwise rotation. This shouldn't be but like N1LN's issue, the radio does otherwise perform correctly.  I have done everything that N1LN has done including the RF Gain calibration using a signal generator.

Very strange, indeed.

Dan -- N3ND

*************************************

Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2017 16:25:20 -0500
From: "Bruce Meier"<beme...@bellsouth.net>
To:<elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: [Elecraft] K3 / RF gain - S meter issue

Looking for suggestions here from someone that might have experienced this
same issue - -

I have (2) K3 units (not the S model) that are acting different when the RF
gain adjustments are turned fully counter clockwise.

?  Unit one ? s/n 1062: When the RF gain is decreased to full counter
clockwise position the S-Meter registers full scale (60db over S9) as
expected.

?  Unit two ? s/n 1193:  When the RF gain is decreased to full counter
clockwise position the S-Meter registers only S8.

 Facts:

?  With the exception of the S-Meter readings with RF gain settings, both
units are working fine

?  Both units have ?almost? all mods installed.  If not all, they are at
least both the same.

?  Both units are running the same version of microcode (5.54) (2.88) (2.88)
(1.26)

?  Both units seem to register very close actual RF gain of stations when
connected when tested on the same antenna

?  Both units have the new synthesizers.

?  Both units have second RX

?  In both cases (both units) I can hear the audio level decreasing linearly
as expected as the RF gain is turned counter clockwise

I have tried to initialize the K3 and reload the firmware resulting in no
change to the RF gain / S-Meter readings.

Elecraft Tech Support suggested:

?  Calibrating the s-meter ? did nothing

?  Next suggestion ? send the rig to California.

Anyone have this issue and fixed it??

73,

Bruce N1LN

Message delivered to rmcg...@blomand.net