Al,

My understanding of the hardware AGC is that it is fixed and is not dependent on the menu AGC parameters. The AGC THR and SLP are strictly DSP parameters.

The Hardware AGC is there only to protect the ADC from overload due to strong signals.

There may some variation in the exact level that the Hardware AGC kicks in form K3 to K3 due to component tolerances.

The fact that the manual RF gain operates at the Hardware AGC point may be sufficient explanation that the RF Gain Control when at full counterclockwise position does not drive the S-meter to full scale (again due to component tolerances).

The real question in my mind is whether the K3 S-meter responds properly at its calibration points of S-9 and S-9+30. And those points are correct with the RF Gain at full clockwise rotation. Those calibration points are determined in the DSP section, and not in the hardware part of the K3.

73,
Don W3FPR