As a rule ALC is not needed and is not recommended by Elecraft. The K3 power management system with the internal ALC is far superior to the derived voltage from most all amps.   And, unlike many radios which when operated with reduced power, they do have a propensity to overshoot, the K3 series has firm ALC control at all power levels.

Just tune and load the amp for maximum output and then reduce drive power from the K3 to attain the level of power you desire to operate.  And as a note, after tuning and loading to maximum output, do not re-tweak the controls for or at the lower power operation.  This is a common misunderstanding among hams.  If it is linear at 1500 watts, then reducing drive, it will be linear at 500 watts.  If one re-tweaks at lower power it most likely won't be linear at 1500 watts or any lesser peak there of.  It will more likely be a "splatter generator".

73

Bob, K4TAX