In a message dated 4/25/06 7:12:19 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Fred, K6DGW wrote:
> So ... running my K2 is like flying an F-16 or F-117A.  I don't actually
> "control" the aircraft or radio, I "request" the computer to control it
> for me and hope it is listening?
>
> -------------------------------
>
> Right, Fred, but notice that's what you did with your SX-28 too! You turned
> the dial to make a frequency mark line up with the indicator. That was
> "requesting" a frequency.

I disagree!

With the SX-28 or similar receiver, you actually adjusted the LC tuned
circuits and other parameters yourself. You didn't "request" anything - you
changed
the parameters directly.

With the K2 or other processor-controlled rig, you send a request to the
processor, and *it* figures out how to change the LC tuned circuits and other
parameters.

Both systems have advantages and disadvantages. All depends what tradeoffs
you choose.

btw, although the K1 has a processor, it's closer to the SX-28 in basic
design (!).

--

One thing that I find somewhat amusing is the enoromous attention given to
getting exact QRG down to a few Hz. For specialized uses, that sort of accuracy

73 de Jim, N2EY