It appears that the higher voltages at QRO are enough on return to fault the
amp.  That could be an arc or the match isn’t really 1:1.   Using an antenna
analyzer at the balun would be useful.

If you’re on 80M, without the tuner, you’re likely to see ~3:1 untuned at the
balun, within the range that should almost work, BUT it also depends on the
length of the open wire feed.  (Using a 75 ohm feed would be wiser if used for
only 80M).

Try modeling it on EZ-NEC, then adjust the feed (in the model) by some feet to
see what that does.  If you’re using it for multiband, you’ll have to run it
for each band.  Getting it to work well on all bands is a serious challenge,
near impossible; something has to give.

It’s likely too that the model won’t show coupling or losses exactly to the
real world (metal, trees, walls), so if it suggests you make changes, you’ll
still have to adjust to your real antenna.  In short, go play.

My 340’ 80M EDZ was textbook perfect (2 opposing 5/8 wave, center fed, NOT
resonant) but didn’t load that way, until I added almost 30’ more antenna AND
shortened the feed by 50’ in the real world.  After more than 200 countries
later (on all bands 160-10), I’d say it worked pretty well.   Not easy, but I
was patient.  Having a K3 made the difference, often the DX did too.

Good luck, it’s one of the fun things to do in ham radio.

73,
Rick WA6NHC

Smell Czech correction happen