Here's a neat operation using a KX3. Thanks to this "heads up" from Rusty, I just worked it on 20M FT8. Go to the link below to read about the operation, click on links at the bottom of the page to see details of the station (KX3, computer, audio and control interface), then click on the Portal to see where they are. For those who are chasing the CQ Field award (for which Rusty was alerting me), they're currently in CL51.

http://www.jrfarc.org/hf-voyager/

73, Jim K9YC

Hi Garry and Jim,

Well, here's an interesting one for you guys.  This afternoon I worked KH6JF/mm in Grid CL (we all need it).  I was already late for an appointment so I ran out the door as soon as I finished my QSO without time to call either of you on the telephone to alert you. I'm so sorry about that.  But after I got back home tonight, I did some research on this station.  It turns out it is a floating, unmanned robotic station slowly making its way from Hawaii to California. I see no reason why this should not count for the Field Award, so you guys should be on the lookout for it.

KH6JF is operating on FT8 on 20m. Apparently it does not call CQ, but it will respond to stations who call it (that's how it worked for me anyway). So if you can operate on FT8 mode, I suggest late afternoon our time you tune to 14074 kHz and just call KH6JF/mm blind and see what happens.  The robot uploads its log to its website (see QRZ.com for that link) every five minutes when its batteries are charged enough for it to do so, so you can actually check to see if your QSO is there.

Good luck,

Rusty, W6OAT

HF Voyager <http://www.jrfarc.org/hf-voyager/>