I've pretty much exhausted most of the permutations of my cables and
connectors.  The only persistent behavior is that if I apply slight
pressure to the side of the BNC connector where it plugs into the jack on
the KX3, or sometimes if I twist it and then apply slight pressure just so,
I see a jump in the noise floor and instead of the internal ATU wearing
itself out and giving up with a 9:1 or 7:1 SWR, it immediately tunes to 1.0
or 1.1.   I have removed/swapped all my the antenna leads.  I have four of
them, all Cables On Demand (Amphenol) manufacture.  I also have a number of
BNC to banana plug jacks, and even an MFJ-1899T.  If I replace the leads
without doing the twisting-and-slight-pressure thing, I lose the RF
connection; the S meter has no indications on it, and the noise floor is
nonexistent.

As the old saw goes "The only common thing about all of your dysfunctional
relationships... is you."   I can extrapolate that to "the only common
thing about all my poor connections is the BNC jack on the KX3."   Yes, I
have cracked the case, confirmed that all connections are firmly seated;
all mechanical connections are sound and tightly made.  I have a jeweler's
screwdriver that I have used to slightly bend the female 'fingers' in for a
better contact as well;  they bend inward, and then spring back into place
again.

It's about time to consider a new jack.  Frustrating, but I've now spent
three or so hours finagling this and given the bench rate of an RF tech,
I'm wasting money (and time.)

On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 10:32 AM, Ignacy <n...@arrl.net> wrote:

> I use many BNC connectors, some at KW level, and nearly all of them are
> good.
> But occasionally some do not make a good contact and need to be thrown away
> ASAP. The best way to check is to try another cable.
>
> Recently I bought a large number of cheap RG-58 cables with BNC connectors
> from showmecables.com.  The cables turned out to be 60 Ohm and many
> connectors are poor.
>
> I like cables at hamfests from old professional equipment.
>
> Ignacy, NO9E
>

> --
> Sent from: http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/

> Message delivered to r...@wc3t.us

Rich Hurd / WC3T / DMR: 3142737
PA Army MARS, Northampton County RACES, EPA-ARRL Public Information Officer
for Scouting
Latitude: 40.761621 Longitude: -75.288988  (40°45.68' N 75°17.33' W) Grid:
*FN20is*