From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Jim Brown
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2018 8:20 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3: CM500 vs. SB40

On 3/20/2018 4:18 PM, N2TK, Tony wrote:
> Also my breath trips the Vox but I have to have the mike gain and Vox
> gain quite a bit higher than the Yamaha to get similar output for both
> mikes.

That makes me suspect that the mic is a cardioid, which is essentially a
"half-sphere" directional mic. This generic mic type suffers from proximity
effect, which boosts low-frequency sounds that are close to it. Breathe is a
low-frequency sound.

There is no proximity effect at right angles to the diaphragm of a cardioid,
so if you want to continue using it, orient it that way and place it several
inches above and to the side of your mouth. You may need to turn up the
gain. Several days ago, I posted recommended starting EQ settings. You might
want to refer to that post.

Or maybe not try to put lipstick on the pig, and take K6LL's very good
advice.

73, Jim K9YC

delivered to tony....@verizon.net