Kent and all,

The K1 needed to be discontinued because the enclosure metalwork was no longer available, and the cost for a new vendor to tool up was prohibitive.

OTOH, the K2 is around and selling for just as long as possible. Procurement of thru-hole components becomes more difficult as manufacturers are switching to all SMD components. So far Elecraft has been able to provide suitable substitutes such as the SA612 IC mounted on a carrier board so it can be used in a thru-hole board. Other such substitutions will be coming in the future, but Elecraft is dedicated to keeping the K2 kit alive for as long as possible.

73,
Don W3FPR