From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net <elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net> on
behalf of Robert J. Morris <ag...@iloc.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2018 1:06:25 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] [KX3] New Product: SPX3 External Speaker

I've built a prototype powered external speaker for the KX3, and would
like some feedback on what folks would desire in terms of features, and
whether folks would want to own one.

The speaker currently is designed to match the overall look of the KX3
and PX3, and accept similar third-party panels and covers as for the KX
line. Presently, it uses the same legs and feet as the KX3 and PX3, and
is the same height and depth as those. There is one USB port for
charging the internal lithium battery, and input and output stereo
jacks. The speaker is mono. The output jack redirects the right channel
from the stereo input for a second speaker, just like with the Elecraft
SP3 and other similar external speakers. The speaker is amplified.

The SPX3 puts out a maximum of 3W, and is about as loud as any external
radio speaker gets. Volume is adjusted by the KX3. It plugs into the KX3
PHONES jack. There is a built-in low pass filter to reduce noise and
improve the listening experience.

The prototype, as you'll see in pictures in the links below, is slightly
narrower than the expected finished product. The speaker driver and
on/off switch are both waterproof, but - just like the KX3 and PX3 - the
case isn't. So, don't drop it in a lake. It will handle all conditions
appropriate for the KX3, and is meant for indoor and outdoor use. Having
matched the case design so closely to the KX3, it isn't as airtight as
I'd like it, so the next prototype will have the case halves join in a
more customary way, but remain the same dimensions and overall look.
This will also improve ingress protection.

You'll see the speaker is not a polished finished product yet, as it's a
rough first prototype made by hand. Your feedback will assure the final
product is what you want gracing your portable shack.

Please note, the KX3 in the photo is only to demonstrate the speaker.

All feedback is welcome. Please let me know which reasonable
enhancements or simplifications you'd like to see.
Examples:
* Would you want an output USB port to use the speaker to charge your
phone?
* Would you want to dispense with the built-in battery, and run it
entirely from external power?
* Would you want a second passive speaker driven by the first to save on
weight and cost? That is, a SPX3A (active, with battery, charger, and
amp) and SPX3P (passive, with only speaker driver)
* If you're a KX2 user, would you like me to produce the SPX2 (also in
development)?

Pictures:
SPX3 with KX3: http://www.iloc.com/ag6zz/SPX3/AG6ZZ_SPX3_KX3.JPG
SPX3 Left Oblique:
http://www.iloc.com/ag6zz/SPX3/AG6ZZ_SPX3_LeftOblique.JPG
SPX3 Right Oblique:
http://www.iloc.com/ag6zz/SPX3/AG6ZZ_SPX3_RightOblique.JPG

73,
Robert (AG6ZZ)

SPX2, SPX2A, SPX2P, SPX3, SPX3A, and SPX3P are Trademarks (TM) of Robert
J. Morris
SPX2, SPX2A, SPX2P, SPX3, SPX3A, and SPX3P are Copyright (C) 2018 by
Robert J. Morris

Message delivered to gib...@alma.edu