Andy,

You'll find the band outputs on the KPA500 aux connector (BAND0-3) are
quite reliable and fast when it comes to detecting band change outputs.
They appear to be flipped/set quite early in the band change
sequence/exchange between the K3 and amp, certainly before RF is applied
(yay !).   At least I've not caught my K3/KPA500(s) doing anything silly in
this regard yet.

My only gripe with the BAND outputs is that 60m was encoded as 0000 and not
1111 on this 4-bit interface, which means telling the difference between
the amp being physically OFF and/or on 60m requires a separate monitoring
circuit...  >:|

73

Matthew
VK5ZM