I have both.  I haven't even upgraded the synthesizer in the K3,  which by general consensus is a must do.

The old K3 is deaf on 6 and 10 meters, if that matters to you.

The USB and internal sound card are nice in the K3S, but my serial-to-USB adapter worked fine and the shack computer sound card was as good on RTTY as some highly recommended external boxes like Tascam.  I also had less grief getting levels set with the old system.

I actually preferred the old tuning knob. I was able to glue in a larger felt washer in the knob and run it against the slick bezel and get reasonably good feel out of a primitive system.  The "soft-touch" knob and textured bezel are not amenable to this.

Personally, I don't think you're missing anything, but I'm sure the faithful will have other ideas.

Wes  N7WS