My experience is similar to Stefan's. In so2r I typically used k3 as the S and
P radio (but only after getting the the DSP board swap change). I used Orion as
the run radio (and before that, Omni VI).

Other than on-the-air experience with radio equipment (my own as well as at
ny4a M/M), the guide for me vis-a-vis radio performance is in two texts: Solid
State Design for the Radio Amateur (1977, Wes Hayward and Doug DeMaw) and
Introduction to Radio Frequency Design (1982, Wes Hayward).  On the one hand,
this dates me (ok, so I am 67 years old, but I am still here and every day
counts)!  On the other hand, how long does it take to understand and use a
given level of technological excellence (as noted in the two texts), say in a
cw contest (answer: far longer than the next "best ever produced" radio)?  BTW,
after reading the above texts it was easy to understand the superior
performance of Ten-Tec Omni series of radios compared to imports. Ten-Tec
radios had later-to-be-named "roofing filters."

I was using Orion (revolution in synthesizer performance), mainly, but with the
introduction of the new Elecraft synthesizer, I had my 2008 K3 fitted with one
(plus any other mod that Elecraft wanted to include while they had the radio)
and I purchased another K3.  So since early 2015? (anyway, right before K3s was
released), I have been so2r K3, with dynamic range and phase noise second to no
other radio.  In short, a (late model) K3 with synthesizer board (or an updated
early K3 like one of mine) is as good as K3s for my purpose.  This perception
has come from on-the-air experience, guided by the above text, as well as
integration of the so2r system.

In K3s, the second preamp is not needed on 10m; you may need the preamp on 6m.
I use K3 160m-10m, HF contest bands only.  Having the ability to disable the K3
preamp and/or put in 10 db of attenuation works fine 160m through 20m.  K3S has
10db more blocking (150db!), but 140 db of blocking in K3 is already remarkable
in that 130 db is outstanding.  The digital mode change of K3s would be
desirable by digital mode ops, I suspect.

My so2r system, here and now, is far more integrated and functional compared to
anything I have used in the past.  One reason I don't want to change anything
is because everything works as I wish, for the first time (this also includes
software, tr4w  preferred)!  Of course my purpose is defined by cw only, and
not by all modes.

I can think of small changes in preferences only (tied to using other radios),
or different ergonomics. But at this point in time I have been trained by the
K3 radios.  When I see other radios offering "this or that" function or
performance, my main thought is "you don't know me that well;" the main part of
the equation is me and what I have learned over the years.

Excluding so2r cw challenges, then I would find other radios to be just as good
as K3 and better is some specific way, or another, or certainly more "cutting
edge" SDR (but for what purpose?).

73, Will, wj9b

CWops #1085
CWA Advisor levels II and III