If you are used to working large rigs with lots of buttons, I can see how the
K3/K3s might be an adjustment.

I have found the K3 controls to be natural and appropriate.  For most of my
operation the buttons and dials I need to use in action are right at my
fingertips.  Once set up correctly, I find little need to venture into the menu
system on a day to day basis.

Sure. It would be nice to have band and mode stacks.  But is it that big a
deal, worth spending many thousands of dollars to change?

We will gain nothing in performance with a bigger rig.  Already Elecraft
outperforms ALL of the big boxes on the market, per Sherwood Engineering.

Here is an elegant and simple solution for the K4 that will satisfy the big box
demand.

Design a modular big front panel that simply plugs into the K3.  Design should
be relatively easy because you don't have to change the K3s itself, just add a
command and control interface for the larger front panel.  Can you use the
accessory port or do you need more connections?  I don't know I am not an
engineer.  Currently computer radio control programs work with a simple DB9
connection.

Then give an option of mounting the K3s in a larger box.  That would have the
added convenience of making it easier for us klutzes to be able to get into the
rig to make changes such as adding filters.

So, you would have options:
1. standard K3s
2. Standalone large front panel.  Put your K3s under the table and mount your
front panel wherever.
3. K3s in a larger box with the larger front panel mounted on the front.  You
can even add options to the large box such as nicer stereo built in speakers,
even a built in AC to DC power supply.

It will all still be the best HF radio in the world, made right here in the US.