Hi Bill,

I too suffered from issues as you are now with my KX3.  Into a dummy load I
was getting high SWR numbers.  I have been so busy at work that I haven't
had the time to find the fault, but what does seem to work for me is not to
tighten the case bolts too tightly.  Looser is better, but not so loose
that the rear legs are flopping about.  When I relieve the tightness on
these bolts, SWR values always settle around 1.0-1.2 depending on the
antenna.  Too tight and SWR jumps up to between 3-15.  This sounds to me
like a bad ground somewhere.  Just haven't had the time to investigate.

Another time that I had the types of SWR you are observing (25+, even 45+
for me), a few years ago, I had to send the KX3 back to Elecraft and they
repaired something.  I am not at home now so I can't recall specifically
what they repaired.  The prevailing theory of the issue was perhaps a
static discharge from the antenna during the winter months when I connected
the KX3 one day.  This was my first experience with static discharge in the
antenna system, assuming that was the problem that fried one of the
components in the KX3.  Again, can't recall which component (actually a
surface mount chip on one of the larger components), but it needed to be
replaced.

regards,
Brian
VE3IBW