Thanks Brian. I worked with Gary at Elecraft support who was a big help in shooting the problem. Your message was also an important clue, and maybe knowing about my problem will help you with yours.

I ended up taking out the 2M board and the ATU board and the KX3 worked. I added in the ATU board and it still worked. When I put the 2M board in, the problem became intermittent. (GRRRRR!) I finally got it so I could poke at one corner of the 2M board and make the problem appear and disappear.

It appears that my problem was being caused by having the antenna coax for the 2M SMA connector touch a toroid on the ATU board. The 2M board installation instructions warn about allowing that to happen. Just moving it caused the problem to appear and disappear. I'm hoping I have cured the problem, but time will tell.

73 Bill AE6JV