Ladies and Gentlemen,

As a *Recovering Regulator* and a person who contacted  my insurance
company when I was contemplating finishing my basement, let me share a
couple thoughts/experiences.

A couple of years ago I called my home owners insurance company, USAA, and
told the nice young lady who answered the phone that I thought building
permit fees were just another tax and asked her if it would be acceptable
to the insurance company if I hired contractors for the electrical,
plumbing, heating, etc. work and specified in the contracts that all work
would be performed to currant code.  Her response was that they really did
not care what I did unless there was a catastrophe.  In which case if the
cause of the  catastrophe was traced to uninspected work, I was not insured.

Not sure if this is still the case, but a few years ago the Trustees of the
Town of Deertrail, Colorado put in place a system where a person could
bring a description or sketch of proposed work written on anything,
including a bar napkin from the VFW hall, to the Town Clerks office and be
issued a building permit.  For a fee of $2.00 you could have the work
inspected by the Mayor/Building inspector when he was in town, since he was
a long haul trucker he was frequently on the road but would do the
inspection when he got back.

Since most jurisdictions are more formal than Deertrail, I would recommend
talking with the people in your local jurisdiction to learn the local
requirements.

Or as my Business Law professor said, "The expensive professional advice is
always cheaper than fixing the problem(s) we create by not knowing the
rules and regulations."

Lee N0RRL