Ken wrote:

> I must admit that my K1 is still my favorite. It was my first CW
> only, QRP rig. I will log more with the KX2, but every contact
> with the K1 is still thrilling.
> Ken ke4rg

All things considered, the K1 is still my favorite rig in 50 years a ham.  I
built mine in late 2000 after a six-month wait between order and delivery.  It
was a deservedly popular rig.  I used mine through Solar Cycles 23 and 24.  It
has been "hors de combat" since a DC power spike from a nearby lightning strike
in 2015.  I hope someday to return it to service.

My KX2 is from a different realm of technology and function.  I am amazed by
its size and capabilities.  I never go on a trip without it.

There is one area where the KX2 is notably deficient, compared to the K1.
That's its case color. and the problem has nothing to do with aesthetics.

Black paint causes a rapid rise in temperature after only a few minutes
exposure to direct sunlight...even when the KX2 is turned off!  Black is a poor
choice for a radio that is likely to see frequent outdoor use under temperate
fair weather conditions.

The case color appears chosen for style...not service.  The traditional light
"Elecraft" gray case color would have produced much less temperature rise in
direct sunlight.  White or light tan would be even better.

Mike / KK5F