I have tried and tested everything mentioned and a load more. Results:

Primary Computer is solid - working properly
Laptop using a converter to RS232 - also working properly
HRD performs properly with my TS480 with either computer
HRD fails with the K3 on either computer (symptoms already discussed in prior postings) K3 is fully updated and no connection changes have been made in over 6 months except to test
     (replaced all lines for testing purposes)
K3 is currently operated using a Genovation and K-Pod - works wonderful!!!

At this point I am done wasting time on using HRD for the K3. For whatever reason, it does not perform as I expect. I can use it - just not expect to do multiple QSYs at a fast pace (such as checking various net frequencies quickly). Others mileage may vary.

Bill W2BLC K-Line