I absolutely love my XG3 and have not even begun to exhaust the list of uses
for it....
Reference signal source is NOT on the list....  I have had the priviledge of
working with half a dozen XG3s at one time...
They are not even CLOSE to precision frequency references....  often varying
anywhere from 0 to 30Hz from the programmed frequency....
Of course, that is NOT their purpose....

On the other hand, using the 20 or yes, the 25 MHz signal from WWV, I can get
sub 1Hz accuracy when zero beating my K3S.
I happen to be fortunate to own frequency counters, external references, et al
instruments to get BOTH precise frequency, and AT LEAST equally important,
precise TIME syncs....
The VAST majority of filks do not....
If you only have an XG3 then you fall in that vast majority too.
WWV is essential to national infrastructure.  When the grid goes down and the
cell towers go dark....  or the military flips the switch on the satellites,
WWV should ALWAYS be there to keep the system running.
73,Clay, KY5G

-------- Original message --------From: Charlie T <pin...@erols.com> Date:
8/20/18  11:45  (GMT-06:00) To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net Subject: Re:
[Elecraft] WWV/WWVH Closure
Yeah, I'd miss them, BUT, my little Elecraft hand-held XG3 sig gen is pretty
handy for that too .

Also, I don't believe funding for the 60kHz sig was ever at risk and THAT's
what your (antique) watch uses.

73, Charlie k3ICH