Brian,

My first response would be "use AFSK". My second would be "use a TinyFSK
for FSK". But in response to your question, if you really want to key FSK
directly from a USB-to-serial adapter you can use the EXTFSK plugin in
MMTTY (<http://hamsoft.ca/pages/mmtty/ext-fsk.php>). This works with any
USB-to-serial adapter. There is also a 64-bit version that supports other
baud rates (<http://www.qsl.net/ja7ude/extfsk/indexe.html>) at the expense
of heavier CPU requirements.

As distinct from AFSK, neither TinyFSK nor FSK keying with EXTFSK works via
the USB cable used for radio control of the K3S (or K3 with KIO3B), which
was how I interpreted the original question. They both require their own
USB port, separate from the one used with the K3S for radio control and
sound card audio.

73,
Rich VE3KI

K3KO asked:

I seem to recall that the serial port needed for FSK generally cannot
come from the run of the mill USB/RS232 converters.  They can't operate
at 45 baud/5 bit rate needed.

See: http://aa5au.com/GettingStartedOnRtty.pdf

This is old info and things may have changed.

So what does a guy who has only USB ports do other than AFSK?  I thought
that was his question.