You should have been a teen in the run-up to Cycle 19 in the 50's, Wayne.  I can't imagine what a K<anything> could have done.  Our prehistoric gear was actually doing amazing things then.  Other than Field Day, field operations, SOTA, Parks, IOTA and the like hadn't been invented. HF mobile was big, VHF FM and repeaters hadn't been invented either.  Unfortunately, I believed "This is just how it will always be."

73, Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County