Found the answer after doing a little more digging.  This is a function of
the CONFIG:LIN OUT:2 (or REV) setting, which was defaulted to 30 on my
K3S.  Setting this to 0 eliminated the Line Out monitoring of Line In.
This is discussed in the KE7X K3S book at the bottom of page 210.

The explanation in the book is that some contests require submission of the
audio of the complete exchange, so having this setting something other than
0 loops the audio back through Line IN so your computer's digital recording
software will capture it when you record from Line In.

   Nick