From: Bob Wilson, N6TV
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2018 2:09 AM
To: Elecraft Reflector; Peter W2IRT
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Retiring my MK-II

On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 10:26 PM Peter Dougherty (W2IRT) <li...@w2irt.net>
wrote:

> Since the K3s has its own built-in sound card it connects via USB I don't
> see the need for the MK-II any longer, and frankly I'd like to reduce the
> complexity and clutter behind the radio in a very tight space. I am using
> both the K3s and a P3 (with TX monitor), so I'm unsure of the needed
> cabling. I also have a Y-box installed at the moment, for my band decoder
> the antenna switch and to my KPA-1500.
>
> I set this all up in July, 2015 and quite honestly, I've forgotten all the
> steps I needed to get the rig working with the MK-II, so  I'd appreciate
> any
> details of how to get everything working without it.

Tell MMTTY to use the USB Audio CODEC for reception (and perhaps
transmission).  Set MENU:MIC SEL to LINE IN.

The tricky part will be getting PTT to work, since MMTTY can't open the
same serial port if it is also being used for rig control by your logging
program.

I know I'm going to lose two things: The Winkeyer, and true FSK RTTY.

Most logging programs can send decent CW over the K3S USB cable (more
below).  This is via "on/off" keying, not KY commands.

FSK RTTY can still be supported by connecting a Serial Box (
https://bit.ly/S-BOX) to your Y-BOX.  This provides a separate serial port
exclusively for MMTTY.  If all of the 15-pin connectors of your Y-BOX are
already in use, you can use the RCA connectors to connect the two
together.  Otherwise, a short 15-pin M/M cable is all you need to connect
them together.  Remote K3 power on can also be supported by the S-BOX, if
needed.

I've operated away from home just using the K3s's internal keyer and never
> had a
> problem (I'm still a relative slowpoke, rarely over 32WPM in contests and
> lower other times).

For contests or computer keying, you can set CONFIG:PTT-KEY to RTS-DTR and
tell your logging program to send CW on the DTR pin of the K3S virtual
serial port, and PTT on the RTS pin.  Hand sending via the internal keyer
works great too.  I've written Win-Test scripts to keep the K3 paddle speed
in sync with the logging program sending speed (or you can set it a few WPM
slower if you prefer).  See https://bit.ly/wtscripts (not required).

RTTY will be a challenge for me, though. I haven't used AFSK for 17 years
> so would greatly appreciate help in making that work,

No need to use AFSK if you can get FSK to work over a separate serial port
(or virtual serial port).  Reception of one or both VFOs would be via the
LINE OUT jack to your PC stereo LINE IN (if it has one).  But all MIC
connectors I've seen on PCs are MONO despite using a stereo (TRS)
connector, so you won't be able to use dual VFOs for reception unless you
use an external sound card with a stereo LINE IN jack (external USB sound
cards with a stereo LINE IN jack are very inexpensive at present).

73,
Bob, N6TV
https://bit.ly/Y-BOX
https://bit.ly/S-BOX