Jim,

That is normal.  The Transmit RF Gain varies from band to band, and that will cause the current draw to vary.  I am surprised that 12M is so low, it is normally on a par with 10 meters.

Part of the RF Gain variation is in the base K2 and some more of it is in the KPA100.

Remember that those are steady state current draws.  The dynamic current such as with SSB operation may peak at greater than what you measured.

Yes, use the LP-100 for calibrating the KPA100 wattmeter.  Since the LP-100 has NIST traceable calibration, I would believe it over the readings on a calibrated BIRD.

73,
Don W3FPR