I'm one of those who has used DeOxit on some old keys - two "bugs" from the
1950's that see regular service on my operating desk.

I was having to constantly "buff" the contacts. I used bit of paper, drawing
it through the contacts while holding them closed several times. If I didn't
use a particular key for several days, it'd be needing a considerable
cleaning. Even when in constant use, I'd have to do a cleaning every week or
so. Keep in mind that the contact closure is far more critical on a bug than
it is on paddles. If the logic sees a contact closure when using a keyer,
it'll make a dot or dash of exactly the correct length. With a bug, that dot
or dash length is totally dependent upon the rig seeing a good, stable
contact closure for exactly the right length of time. If the contact is
dirty, the element will be truncated. The sending is often described as
"scratchy" with the carrier jumping on and off perhaps several times in the
length of one dash at 20 wpm as the keying circuit interprets the poor
contact is alternately an open or closed circuit. It really makes for nasty
sending.

One day I was launching into yet another cleaning and saw, right next to my
key, a little squeeze bottle of Caig DeOxit. So I put a small drop on the
contacts. The surface tension held it in place with the contacts open. A few
minutes later I tried the key. Perfect contact action. I did have to remove
the excess DeOxit from the dot contacts since the liquid interfered with the
smooth action of the pendulum that makes dots on a bug. So all that was left
was the very thin film of DeOxit that clung to the metal. It was more than
six months later that I noticed the contacts needing help. Before I had to
clean them ever few days. I now keep a little squeeze bottle of DeOxit at
the operating desk <G>.

Ron AC7AC