Thanks for the explanation,  John.

I’m not an electronically educated fellow, merely just seeking the
practical.

A resolution to my post was provided in the suggestion that the apparent
1.1:1 SWR might be the result of common mode current.  Sure enough when I
installed a 1:1 current balun at the feed point of the antennas (2
perpendicular Inverted Vees with a switchable common feed point), the value
went from 1.1:1 to 1.0:1 and the bottom of the SWR curves which also
broadened out.

Still that doesn’t explain why the K3 was showing 1.1:1 while passing 1.0:1
information to K3EZ, or so it seems.  I don’t think that the K3EZ is
‘measuring SWR’ rather merely posting information it is getting from the
K3…no different measuring device or location.  Perhaps it is a sort of
‘rounding error.’  By the way, for those who haven’t come across it, K3EZ
has the great feature of being able to step the K3 across a frequency range,
momentarily key it, step again, etc. and plot in text an SWR chart…a handy
feature for working with an antenna installation.

Following is a situation that perhaps you have the theoretical background to
explain…

I have a full-size monoband vertical for 40 meters.  Simple architectural
aluminum tapering from 1 ¼” (?) in 6’ telescoping sections.  The radial
field is designed to provide a 50 ohm match at the feed point…12 – 13’+
radials.  It is fed directly…no matching device with RG-213 from the remote
antenna switch about 50’ away at my tower.  The coax from the rig to the
remote antenna switch is estimated to be ~ 50’ in length.  A lot of the time
running K3EZ to sweep the band (typically 20 watts), it will indicate a
1.0:1 SWR from 7.0 MHz to 7.3 MHz in 20 kHz steps.  Occasional deviation
from one K3EZ run to another might be due to variations in moisture content
of the ground or less than perfect connection to the vertical…an uncommon
situation.  The K3 shows the same readings.

Is this 1.0:1 SWR across the entire 40 meter band curious or remarkable?

Dick – KA5KKT

----------

Hi Dick,

Some numbers: using the K3 Schematic, "K3S RF Board" Sheet 2, Section

B1. The power meter uses a series Schottky diode detector. The low

reasonable resolution is about 0.3 VDC, or 0.3 * .707 = 0.21 Vrms out of

the directional coupler.

The Power for 0.21 Vrms is:

0.21^2 / 50 = .88 mW

Assuming a 20 dB coupler 1:10 turns ratio, 0.88mW * 100 = 0.88W

reflected power.

Assuming forward power of 100 watts and 0.88 watt reflected power the

return loss is:

10 * log(100 / 0.88) = 20.6 dB

Using the calculator:

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/tools/vswr-return-loss-calculator/

20.6 dB Return Loss computes to VSWR = 1.222

Therefore, the best lowest estimated K3 VSWR, assuming a 20 dB coupler,

is about 1.2.

Check my numbers.

John KN5L